If you went to a Catholic school while you were growing up, you know what a big deal May Crowning is. It’s a huge deal for the 8th graders. This year I learned that it is also a big deal for the person making the crown because this year that job became mine.
I wasn’t entirely sure how to start but I had some ideas. I purchased all of the flowers that were pink, red or white. Since I went shopping the day after Mother’s Day, the flower selection was a bit slim.
I then separated the flowers into small mini bouquets. Basically, I made a table full of boutonnieres.
I had some small strings of pearls that I added to most of the little bouquets. Each little bouquet was wrapped with floral tape.
I then wrapped floral wire around each little bouquet. Then I added another bouquet to it and wrapped floral wire around that one. I continued adding bouquets and wrapping with floral wire. In the end, the finished crown looked great. I was worried about how sturdy it was, though. I went back in and added more wire throughout. I also wrapped the crown with some pink ribbon. That made it easier to see which side was the front and which was the back as the long ribbon tail was in the back.
I think that next year, I might make a circle wire frame to build the crown on so that the flowers aren’t just supported by other flowers. Also, I might try to leave the stems longer on the flowers to see if that gives it some more support.
Although I was nervous about the strength of the crown, it is still intact! Weeks later, the crown is still together. The flowers have now dried but it still looks beautiful.
This is a project that I’ve been meaning to get done…..for almost a year…..
I kept all of the cards that we were given after my baby shower when I was pregnant with big girl, and after she was born and her Baptism. I also kept the cards that we were given after baby girl was born and her Baptism. However, they had just been sitting in a box. I didn’t like that they were just sitting there gathering dust and wanted to find a way to integrate them into the girls’ bedroom. I found a couple different ideas on Pinterest but in the end opted for something simple.
Step 1: Use a decorative hole puncher to cut out shapes. I used a circle punch for big girl and a heart shaped punch for baby girl.
Step 2: Figure out the spacing on wood initials.
Deciding on spacing between each piece.
Step 3: Apply a coat of Mod Podge. I used matte but you could use whatever you happen to have on hand.
Step 4: Apply the first layer of hearts (or circles or whatever shape you are using).
Step 5: Apply a second coat of Mod Podge being careful to lightly press down on the edges of the shapes to ensure that they won’t pop up while they dry.
Step 6: If you are going to do a second layer of card shapes, apply now then apply a third coat of Mod Podge.
Two layers of circles done, one layer of hearts done.
Step 7: Lightly brush over the final layer of Mod Podge to smooth out any drips or puddles and let the pieces dry completely.
Step 8: Enjoy your pieces! I love that the cards that we were given can now be enjoyed as a piece of art in the girls’ room.
Pretty lines. Delicate features. Spring.
I love the beautiful lines of spring flowers. Tulips have such a delicate shape yet they are so sturdy as they emerge during the still chilly spring months.
In response to The Daily Post’s weekly photo challenge: “Intricate.”