There is nothing quite like a girls days with my little girls. They love being downtown and going on adventures, and now that they are older, it’s easier for me to do the adventures by myself. Diapers? Don’t need them. Snacks? Still needed but they can open them by themselves. And, although their legs get tired after walking all day, we no longer need to haul a stroller around town.
We recently had a girls day downtown doing two of their favorite things: eating and shopping at American Girl Place and shopping at Disney Store (this is a big deal mostly because there are so few locations of Disney Store, now…..there had been a location very near us but that closed a couple years ago).
Part of the fun of shopping at Disney Store is finding all of the buttons to press and then see what noises or actions those buttons make happen.
And, of course, watching all of the cartoons and movie previews on the big screen.
Now, going to American Girl Place and eating there requires a little more planning. You can, of course, just go to shop. However, there is a lot of do while you are there.
Some things to remember:
- Tea is fun but is served later in the afternoon so it may not a good option if you haven’t already eaten lunch. Your kids will be hangry. (Trust me. I know.) The lunch is very filling. If you’ve already eaten lunch before arriving, go ahead and do tea!
- In addition to tea and lunch, there are also brunch and dinner options depending on the time of day that you are going.
- If you only have a small group with you and you are already there to celebrate a birthday, go ahead and go in for the birthday package. It’s a set price, you get a full meal including a starter and your main course, you get a cake (we always go home with extra), and the kids get a goody bag. Definitely a good deal when you look at the the prices of the meals. (The basic package is $37 for kids and $27 for adults.)
- If you are planning on taking a doll to the salon, book that as soon as you arrive. The salon can get very busy!
- Plan on at least 45 minutes to just browse and shop. (Even if you aren’t planning on making any purchases.) The store is set up so that girls can play with almost every item that’s for sale. And, from experience, this takes awhile.
Our list thus far:
Field Museum Museum of Science and Industry Adler Planetarium Shedd Aquarium Chicago Children’s Museum Splash pads Maggie Daley Playground Art Institute Head to the pool Have a pajama day
- Head to the library
Go to the zoo
- Go to the beach
- Eat at Big Bowl
Go to Morton Arboretum
- Eat at Labriola Cafe
- Eat at Rainforest Cafe
Get ice cream
- Bake cookies
- Read books at home
- Make banana pudding
Go on a hike Go on a picnic
- Go to Granny and Pa’s house
- Go to Mimi and Pa’s house
- Make lemonade
Go bowling See a movie See a movie outside Family Festival downtown Chicago
- Ride the train at the mall
Go to American Girl Place Go to Disney Store Go to Renaissance Faire
- Eat at Flat Top Grill
- Go to Chinatown